thinking out loud...

the outward ramblings of my inner self...

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Response - Ability

the other night at dinner my seven year old said, "i've been working on responsibility." impressed, i told her, "that's great. responsibility is a really hard thing to learn. I've been working on it too."
"Yeah," she said, "people tell me it's hard, but i've been practicing and i think i've got it."
"well," in my mom voice, "i've been working on responsibility my whole life, it's something you just keep learning more about. No matter how old i am i'll still be working on responsibility."
"I don't know why everybody says it's so hard, i've just about got it." "R-E-S-P..."

my daughter was working on SPELLING responsibility.

my kids teach me so much about how God loves me and how he teaches me things. When i go to him and ask for wisdom, i mean to just give it to me the easy way: just teach me how to spell it. Because the lessons i have to go through to actually be Wise are pretty tough and i'm finding that it takes a strong backbone to get through it.

i think about how many times i tell my kids to do the same thing. i have to tell them every day to brush their teeth. they know to do it, but they won't unless they're told. i'm that way with God. i know i'm supposed to spend time with him, to dedicate myself to serving. but i have to reminded like every day to do it.

i'll bet God looks at us just like i look at my girls. i get so irritated with them when i have to keep teaching them the same lesson, but at the same time i love them and understand in a way, that it takes a lot of repetition to get it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home